Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Will an increase in taxes lower the deficit?

Do higher taxes reduce the deficit? I don't think so.

I'm in my late 50's now. In my teen years, I remember listening to politicians warning that if we don't reduce the government deficit, we will sink the nation with unimaginable debt. So taxes get raised. Forty years later, I'm listening to the same argument.

Let's face the truth. The "reducing the deficit" argument is an excuse to continue to raise taxes so that the government bureaucracy can get even richer than it already is. If taxes were the answer to the nation's problems, we would have solved those problems long ago. Increased taxes simply makes the government richer while the rest of us get poorer.

An increase in taxes is an increase in the cost of living above the normal increases. It doesn't help the poor simply because any benefit they may receive from the government is offset by the increase in their cost of living. So the poor remain poor, and the bureaucracy gets richer.

Charles

No comments:

Post a Comment