Monday, April 7, 2008

My Personal Stereotype Threat

Concerning the article on "Stereotype Threat" mentioned in a previous post, here are some of my personal Stereotyping that I have to overcome in becoming a market trader:

  1. Was I a Chemical Engineering Failure?
  2. Engineers, lawyers and doctors make the worse traders!
  3. Market Trading at home is a lazy profession.
  4. Society prefers people who can hold a "Real (9 to 5)" job.
  5. Does Market Trading have any real value to society?
  6. Do I have what it takes to be a full-time trader considering that most fail?

Of course, you have to be in the right mind-set to succeed at this profession.

  1. You have to believe that it is a true profession with value to society.
  2. You have to believe that it is possible to succeed at trading.
  3. You have to believe that you do have what it takes to succeed.
  4. You have to believe in what you are doing despite societal prejudices.
  5. You have to believe that trading is a real job and treat it as a real job. (I read a few years back of a lady that worked in a home office who, in order to get into the proper mine set for work, would dress in a business suit, stuff her brief case, leave the house and drive around the block a few times, and then go back home and walk into her home office and start work. I have not resorted to this tactic yet, but the psychology of this routine is interesting.)

I may expand on this later.

Charles

No comments:

Post a Comment